Skip to main content

"Wild Horses (feat. Florence Welch)"

I know I haven't posted in a while but things have been very busy on my end. So this past weekend I went to... Fiesche. I think that's it...it's somewhere in the Alpes, for a Rotary meeting with all the other exchange students in Switzerland. There were over 60 of us in this "Sports Resort." I met up with my friend Kaylee from Canada who is from my district in Canada (I knew her before I left for Switzerland) and my other two friends from my language course Sophie (USA) and Rachel (London, Ontario) and our other friend Kat (USA) and Otilia who is from Romania. I look a train in with Sophie and it was so pretty!
When we got to the train station before this photo we found a whole group of other exchange students so we tagged a long with them. I'm pretty sure they were a main group from Zurich. We got off at the wrong station and had to walk a bit to get to the "resort" which was fine. We were the only ones we knew there so we talked to some other people but we were really looking forward to seeing our other friends. Finally a huge group of people came (all the other exchange students other than the twenty who were with us). The Rotarians did some introductions and I met the girl who was in charge of my Rosetta Stone course sadly and the woman who she had to report to (they don't really like me). Eventually they started calling out rooms and I was in the Canadian girl room! It was great! It was Rachel, Kaylee and another girl named Erin from British Columbia. We were beside the USA room so Sophie and Kat visited us often. We had an hour and a half of a workshop which was just a rotarian going over the rules with us... again. There was a past exchange student who was there helping who went to Canada and she has an Australian accent surprisingly. We had games in the afternoon and I signed up for Volleyball and I did a bit...but I'm not too good. I would like to do volleyball in the spring this year. Anyways we went to bed and the Latin Americans were having a party upstairs so it was a bit hard but it was good. I can tell you they know how to party (very loud music is all it takes apparently). The next day we were woken by one of the other Rotex playing their music up and down the halls knocking on doors trying to get everyone up. Great time.....We had one more "workshop" and then we had a closing assembly. We had to do quick presentations on an assigned point. It was supposed to be five minutes but my groups was about 2 minutes. It was finally time to go. Kaylee, Rachel, Sophie and I took a train back to Bern that was crowded and hot because there was us (an extra 60 students) and everybody coming back to a concert plus the usual weekend traffic. I was really tired and I think when I got home (which was around four) I went straight to bed. I slept for 3 hours and then went down for dinner. Yesterday I had to go to my language course as usual at 8:30 in the morning meaning I have to get up at 6, which in reality I got up half an hour later. It takes 40 minutes to get to the school for me. I catch the train to Bern at 7:43 AM at the station closest to my host family's house which is always a bit crowded but everyone can find a seat if they look and don't mind sitting in between strangers. I get in at Bern at 8:10 then catch a bus that drops me off at the German course at 8:26. Now this seems like a good plan but sometimes I'm late because if the train is four minutes late then I'm in trouble. And by chance guess what happened to me today.... it was 4 minutes late!! I'm over it... anyways after the three and a half grueling hours of boringness Rachel, Sophie and I stayed behind to get Rachel some shower things (I can't remember what exactly but it was something like that). Today we stayed behind again but Kat came with us and they got some clothing and I got a new bag (gym like bag) that was 3 Francs. I then came back to Burgdorf and stopped in at Migros (the Independent Grocer of Switzerland) and got some things for dinner. Did you know that about 15 strawberries here is 5.40 Francs! I almost lost it in the store. I was making pancakes for dinner (Joanna my host sister who is leaving Friday to go to Argentina wanted me to make some) so I got my things and left. I waited for the bus to come by for 15 minutes only to realize I was at the wrong stop. I had to walk home because I didn't want to wait for the other bus to come. I worked on some German homework and then at five I started to make the pancakes because I thought an hour and a half would be plenty of time to make pancakes....right!.....right!......WRONG!!! It took me two hours for some reason. But Joanna and her friends and Edna said they were good. I made chocolate chip pancakes, blueberry, and banana. They were fine. They weren't very fluffy but they tasted the same. And now that leads me to now. I have to go to the embassy tomorrow to book an appointment just to say that I'm here in Switzerland then I have to go to the Switzerland embassy to ask them to extend my visa. That's what's happening now I guess. Next weekend I think Rachel. Sophie, Kat and I are going to go to Geneva. Yeah...that's all I can think of right now. Tschuss!
                                                            Fiesche
                                                All the Canadians in the Exchange
                                                                 Rachel and I today

Comments

  1. Jane, your Mom set up your blog for me and I'm really enjoying it. What a wonderful experience for you. I have a friend from Switzerland so I know some of the towns you go to, and my Mom and I actually went through Switzerland when I was 21, she was taking me through Europe for my education! I love her for that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Week in Frankfurt

On Monday we (my class from the high school) took three trains. We left Burgdorf at 8:53 AM and then spent ~30 minutes on the first two trains then 3 hours on the last. I talked to Fabienne, Elena, and Viola who was sitting with me and then I slept because I was tired. We went to our rooms which they say is a hostel, but I’m not sure. Then we went on a bus tour of Frankfurt and it was 3 hours of a guy with a weird hair cut speaking very fast german that I couldn’t understand. And apparently it wasn’t just me it, the other kids in my class couldn’t understand some things he was saying. We went to this tower and then walked around the old city for a while; it was called Main Tower or something. We then had dinner at this restaurant that was old looking but surrounded by new buildings. After we then had free time and I hung out with some other people and they were really nice. We just walked around and went over the bridges. We got back at around 10. I went to bed at 10:30 and then my r

“La Vie en Rose”

I've been here in Switzerland for 133 days and I have another 206 days to go. It seems like a lot, but January is actually the half-way mark for my exchange and this exchange has gone by so quickly. Saturday the 14 December Edna and I went to a place called Colmar in France -- which is here: and it was really fun! I got up at 6 because Edna thought it would be a good idea to chose the train that left at 6:43 AM (!!). We got to the train on time and took for about two hours until we got to Basel. There we had 20 minutes to catch our train but before we could we needed to buy our tickets cause it was with another train company. We got some breakfast first and then we went to the information centre, waited on line for five minutes that we didn’t have and then got directed to the SBB office in the train station. When we got to the SBB (the Switzerland Train Company) we had two minutes to get to our gate which was not gonna happen because it’s always very slow in the office. We took