Skip to main content

“Down On Me” Janis Joplin

I think it’s been a little over a week since I’ve posted something. It’s pretty much been the same thing for the last week. German course then I go home. Today though we had a full day but our teacher arranged for us to go to the Einstein Museum in bern. So those first 2.5 hours were terrible. Boring. We took a bus to the Bahnhof (train station) then we went to a market open in from of the Bundeshaus (parliament building of Switzerland). Lots of people bought food there. I spent last night making a salad in a jar (okay as of right now I am using a German keyboard and it is a bit different. I can not find the apostrophe button for the life of me so this is going to sound hella formal). Anyways, the salad was tomatoes, cucumber and couscous and it was not hard making it, but I made the lemon sauce (obviously lemon) and that was hard because the recipe was in German. And it was like..."Add a little portion of garlic," WHAT THE HELL IS A LITTLE BIT! Moving on...it was fun making it. I then realized that I had to finish some Hausaufgaben (homework). Also, here they use capitals on nouns. Not a huge fan of that. I think I went to bed at around 12 which is terrible for me over here because I need like a good 8 or nine hour sleep. I had to wake up a 6. And if I am being honest it was more like 6:15 because I like sleeping in. I took a shower, packed my bag, did my hair and asked my host sister about my outfit. (also if you see a z somewhere in here it is because the z is where the y is and the y is where the z should be). I caught an earlier train today and I was planning on walking up this big hill and then down like a thousand stairs (and dad if you are reading this these are the stairs I was complaining about), but I saw my host sister waiting for the bus because she did not want to climb up the hill and she made me go on it to (there was not much of a fight though). All the trains here from the hours of 7-8:30 are always crowded. I gave up on trying to find a seat on the trains so I just stand for the half an hour I am on there. When I got to the train station which is essentially the closest thing I have seen here to a mall, there is like three grocery stores that are only for "to go" food, but there is one that is an actual grocery store so I went in there and got some Mozzarella, now the real stuff not the fake kraft kind. It is so good if I could send a whole plane of this stuff over I would. And here it is 2 Francs (2 American Dollars) for it.  So I also caught an earlier busses to the german course and I was still the one of the last ones there. So let us fast forward two and a half hours later. After everyone got their food we went to the Münster (the big church here in Bern which I definitley recommend you google it or look at the post before this one for a picture) anyways there is a park behind it and we ate lunch on the grass. A guy from my class kept making me eat a chili pepper and after every other Canadian did and they said it was fine I tried a little bit (they were saying I was a wimp and insulted Canadians so I did it for the dignity of Canada. They were joking though) and i swear to god that little bit was the worst ting ever. It was so spicy but I was crying it was so spicy (right now I can hear my dad in my head go "phff no its not." Hahaha). Well it was. It was really fun. So there you go, I defended Canada`s (maybe that is the Apostrophe?) honor; now it may not have been that well defended, but it was defended.....a little bit. So we walked from the Münster over "the" bridge and to the Einstein Museum. So there were some different exhibits going on as well. We started at the History of Bern for about five minutes then our teacher let us go and look at whatever we wanted to. So my friends Kat (USA), Sophie (USA), Rachel (Canada) and Juan Pablo (Mexico) went to the exhibit of the Apollo 11 (which if you do not know this already but I love the space missions). We walked in and the first thing it has playing is the famous quote "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" and they had some videos. My favourite part was that they had this video of the planets playing. There was no talking over it, just music. Beside it though there was this costume playing area where you could try on the "spacesuits". It was pretty fun. We then went to other exhibits. I think my favourite was the space on but the coolest entrance was definitly the Einstein exhibit. I had a really good day there. It was also my last day of the German course because next week I am off to Frankfurt next week with my actual school class. I am sad that the German class is over because I really like the people in it but we will see each other again at other Rotary functions. I am hoping my high school class will be like this. Here you stay with the same class for every manditory class. I think it will be fun. Tomorrow I am going to check out this forest trail my host sister was telling me about and it is cleaning and washing day tomorrow. Umm...next saturday Sophie, Rachel, Kat and I are going to go to Geneva (Genf) for the day. We have been planning this for two weeks now and everyone is good for next Saturday. If you can not come then....to bad.




Costume Party (From Left to Right: Juan Pablo, Sophie, Rachel, Kat)


Outside of the Museum


Entrance to the Einstein Exhibit


Sophie infront of the planet video in a space helmet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wild Horses (feat. Florence Welch)"

I know I haven't posted in a while but things have been very busy on my end. So this past weekend I went to... Fiesche. I think that's it...it's somewhere in the Alpes, for a Rotary meeting with all the other exchange students in Switzerland. There were over 60 of us in this "Sports Resort." I met up with my friend Kaylee from Canada who is from my district in Canada (I knew her before I left for Switzerland) and my other two friends from my language course Sophie (USA) and Rachel (London, Ontario) and our other friend Kat (USA) and Otilia who is from Romania. I look a train in with Sophie and it was so pretty! When we got to the train station before this photo we found a whole group of other exchange students so we tagged a long with them. I'm pretty sure they were a main group from Zurich. We got off at the wrong station and had to walk a bit to get to the "resort" which was fine. We were the only ones we knew there so we talked to some other

My Week in Frankfurt

On Monday we (my class from the high school) took three trains. We left Burgdorf at 8:53 AM and then spent ~30 minutes on the first two trains then 3 hours on the last. I talked to Fabienne, Elena, and Viola who was sitting with me and then I slept because I was tired. We went to our rooms which they say is a hostel, but I’m not sure. Then we went on a bus tour of Frankfurt and it was 3 hours of a guy with a weird hair cut speaking very fast german that I couldn’t understand. And apparently it wasn’t just me it, the other kids in my class couldn’t understand some things he was saying. We went to this tower and then walked around the old city for a while; it was called Main Tower or something. We then had dinner at this restaurant that was old looking but surrounded by new buildings. After we then had free time and I hung out with some other people and they were really nice. We just walked around and went over the bridges. We got back at around 10. I went to bed at 10:30 and then my r

“La Vie en Rose”

I've been here in Switzerland for 133 days and I have another 206 days to go. It seems like a lot, but January is actually the half-way mark for my exchange and this exchange has gone by so quickly. Saturday the 14 December Edna and I went to a place called Colmar in France -- which is here: and it was really fun! I got up at 6 because Edna thought it would be a good idea to chose the train that left at 6:43 AM (!!). We got to the train on time and took for about two hours until we got to Basel. There we had 20 minutes to catch our train but before we could we needed to buy our tickets cause it was with another train company. We got some breakfast first and then we went to the information centre, waited on line for five minutes that we didn’t have and then got directed to the SBB office in the train station. When we got to the SBB (the Switzerland Train Company) we had two minutes to get to our gate which was not gonna happen because it’s always very slow in the office. We took