Skip to main content

"The Night Before"

Today is Sunday the 11. I've been here six days. And... that's about it. It's actually 5:16 PM here and I've been up for about 2 and a half hours. Yesterday I think I mentioned the party of my host family's brother, well it was fun but again I couldn't speak any German so I couldn't really talk to anyone a lot ( I also had no idea what to talk about). Everyone seemed to be having a good time though which is great. I got a text from one of my counselors named Katja (Cat-ja), and she wanted to meet up to go to the Buskers again which I was really happy about. She texted at around 2 PM and wanted to meet at 5 which worked out to be good. I left the party at 2:25 and walked to the train station to go to Romanshorn (a stop in St. Gallen) and then took a 2.5 hour train ride into Bern. I really enjoyed the long train ride and it would have been even better if I had something to do with me. The train was delayed 8 minutes which is huge in Switzerland. I don't know if I explained this on here but this is how my host family explained it to me...(clears throat)... All the trains are scheduled to come at a very specific time, like, 5:31 PM or 8:27 AM. There are often connecting trains, so if you have 3 minutes to get to your connecting train and the one your already is two minutes late then you have 1 minute to get to your next train. In the stations you can sometimes see people running to catch your next train. So 7 minutes is a huge deal. (It wasn't for me though because I would have had to wait 20 minutes before my train left).  So on the two and a half hour train ride from St. Gallen to Bern, I we had a stop somewhere and six girls came on dressed in neon skirts and black body suits with very professional looking glitter and gems on their face got on. They sat a section in front of me (two seats facing each other is a section) and since there was six of them two had to sit in the ones beside and the guy already sitting there didn't seem to mind. In fact he was rather glad they were there if you get what I'm saying. At first it was fine but you could tell they were going to a huge party and it was getting a  bit annoying with all their "woohs," and when I say a bit, I mean like I wanted to tear my hair out. My god, do they know any other word other than "Woooh," or "Yaaayy." My god. I switched compartments. Now, these trains are like a mix between subway and train. They have seats like a train but in a Subway material. They have two floors like a train but it feels like a subway. They have these little tables that come out of the wall that are only big enough to hold a small book and a coffee. I'm not dissing the trains, I actually love them, I just don't want you to think they're like the steam engine ones. I slept for about 20 minutes then in a panic I wok up 10 minutes before the train pulled into the station. I looked at the SBB (Switzerland Transport App that gives you all the times and stops) and I had another hour to go. Again, it would have been more enjoyable if I had a book to read or I brought my iPad. It was fine though. One day I want to just go on trains the whole day. Just take a train to the east side from Bern, then take one all across to the other side of Switzerland, then back to Bern. The festival was good. I might post a picture later or I'll try a video. I got home last night at about 8:40. Oh! I waited at the train station in Burgdorf to take a bus to a stop close to where the house is. I was waiting there for about seven minutes before I realized that the busses only come at the hour. So I typed in my address and then let Google Maps take me home. And of course, this being Switzerland, it made me take the path with the stairs. It's okay now though. Today was more of a cleaning day. I got up at 9:30 AM and went downstairs and my host parents said I could sleep in to as long as I want. And after the week I had that was the kindest thing anyone could say to me. So heeding their advise I went up the ever so long staircase and went back to bed. I slept until 2:30 PM. My host sister got home at around 3:30-4 PM and she helped me clean my room. We have to vacuum, wash the floor, and spotlessly clean our room. It's kinda fun. Right now I know my mom is jumping up and down with excitement expecting my room to be clean when I come back. Anyways, going to go.

Buskers Commercial

https://vimeo.com/345728730

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wild Horses (feat. Florence Welch)"

I know I haven't posted in a while but things have been very busy on my end. So this past weekend I went to... Fiesche. I think that's it...it's somewhere in the Alpes, for a Rotary meeting with all the other exchange students in Switzerland. There were over 60 of us in this "Sports Resort." I met up with my friend Kaylee from Canada who is from my district in Canada (I knew her before I left for Switzerland) and my other two friends from my language course Sophie (USA) and Rachel (London, Ontario) and our other friend Kat (USA) and Otilia who is from Romania. I look a train in with Sophie and it was so pretty! When we got to the train station before this photo we found a whole group of other exchange students so we tagged a long with them. I'm pretty sure they were a main group from Zurich. We got off at the wrong station and had to walk a bit to get to the "resort" which was fine. We were the only ones we knew there so we talked to some other

My Week in Frankfurt

On Monday we (my class from the high school) took three trains. We left Burgdorf at 8:53 AM and then spent ~30 minutes on the first two trains then 3 hours on the last. I talked to Fabienne, Elena, and Viola who was sitting with me and then I slept because I was tired. We went to our rooms which they say is a hostel, but I’m not sure. Then we went on a bus tour of Frankfurt and it was 3 hours of a guy with a weird hair cut speaking very fast german that I couldn’t understand. And apparently it wasn’t just me it, the other kids in my class couldn’t understand some things he was saying. We went to this tower and then walked around the old city for a while; it was called Main Tower or something. We then had dinner at this restaurant that was old looking but surrounded by new buildings. After we then had free time and I hung out with some other people and they were really nice. We just walked around and went over the bridges. We got back at around 10. I went to bed at 10:30 and then my r

“La Vie en Rose”

I've been here in Switzerland for 133 days and I have another 206 days to go. It seems like a lot, but January is actually the half-way mark for my exchange and this exchange has gone by so quickly. Saturday the 14 December Edna and I went to a place called Colmar in France -- which is here: and it was really fun! I got up at 6 because Edna thought it would be a good idea to chose the train that left at 6:43 AM (!!). We got to the train on time and took for about two hours until we got to Basel. There we had 20 minutes to catch our train but before we could we needed to buy our tickets cause it was with another train company. We got some breakfast first and then we went to the information centre, waited on line for five minutes that we didn’t have and then got directed to the SBB office in the train station. When we got to the SBB (the Switzerland Train Company) we had two minutes to get to our gate which was not gonna happen because it’s always very slow in the office. We took