Skip to main content

"September"

So yesterday (Saturday) I went to Geneva (Genf) with Sophie (from the United States), Rachel (from near London Ontario) and Kat (from the United States). I woke up at 7 AM which was... a little too short of a sleep but, whatever. I got ready and almost.. ALMOST... missed my bus to the train station but I didn't. I arrived in Bern at 8:40 AM and met them at the platform. We got great seats for the train to Geneva and played Cards Against Humanity.They filled me in on what I missed during the week. We had a really good time. We had to change trains and the seconds train was a little more boring. At first there were no four seats together but there was two and two across from the isle from each other so we took those. Near the end of the ride some people left and we snagged their seats of four and played miniature Uno. When we got to the Geneva station we decided we wanted to go to the United Nations first so we hopped on a bus and arrived at the "closed" United Nations. I think this was around 11 AM. We took some photos and then left to go find something to eat.

United Nations Building (Taken through the Gates)

We spent around an hour trying to find a cheap place to eat that looked good and we finally cam across this Italian restaurant that was pretty expensive but it looked really good, but we wanted to see if there was something else but since there was nothing we went to this place which was called Vapiano. I was kinda cool. They gave you a card (kinda like a debit card) and then you would go to a counter and the chef would make what you wanted right there. Sophie, Rachel and I got pasta and Kat got a pizza. It was actually really good food. We then could see the Jet d`Eau in Lake Geneva. It said the walk was thirty minutes but in reality it was only like 10 minutes. It was really cool too. It was so tall we could see it by our restaurant.

Picture taken just down the street form our restaurant

Jet D`eau

Another Jet D`eau


A Time-lapse of the Jet D`Eau

We ended up on this dock place where we could take about ride of the lake surrounding the area of the Jet d`Eau. We asked and since we have a General Admission card (allows us to go on whatever train, bus etc we want) we were able to go on it for free. It was a really cool ride and we took lots of pictures. I think the best part of it was when Rachel and I thought it would be funny to the "king of the world" on the boat. But there was a group of people behind us so we were laughing the whole entire time. We got a few photos which came out okay.

Rachel and I doing the Titanic

We went into this covered area in the boat since no one was there and talked a bit until we noticed that everyone that watched us do the Titanic pose was starting to do the same thing. I swear we laughed for a solid five minutes. We took some more pictures and then got off on the other side of the lake. There was a ferris wheel we went on which was pretty cool but it was rather expensive for the amount of time we were on the ferris wheel for.

A Timelapse of the Ferris Wheel

We then stopped at some souvenir places and I got a pin for my jacket that says Geneva on it. On the boat ride we saw these places that looked really cool so we decided to go there after. So we hopped on bus and went to the botanical gardens.

A Picture of one of the Botanical Garden Buildings

It was really cool but we were trying to get out of there and Sophie really wanted to visit the place called "Palace of Nations" and Rachel was already tired and everyone was getting tired to but Sophie wasn`t and she really wanted to go so we went wither but it turned out that "Palace of Nations" is just "United Nations." It was okay though we took a bus back to the train station and got something from Migros (the Switzerland version of Independent or Walmart) and got some things for dinner. I got a sandwich and a salad. Rachel didn't want anything because she was still full form lunch and Sophie got some Mozzarella and Tomatoes. Kat decided she was going to go to Brig before she went home so Rachel, Sophie and I went on the train home from Geneva. It was a nice time. We talked about some things. We planned for Rachel and Sophie to come to my house on Friday so Rachel and I can make either Nanaimo bars or Buttertarts for our Rotary weekend where we have to bring something from our home country to eat. They're going to sleep over and then we are going to take the train to...I don't know where but where ever the weekend is taking place. We had a really fun time in Geneva and we are going to go back when the United Nations is going to be open.

Today I'm not doing a lot. I am cleaning my room and that's about it. I have school tomorrow which I'm not looking forward to but I am excited for Friday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wild Horses (feat. Florence Welch)"

I know I haven't posted in a while but things have been very busy on my end. So this past weekend I went to... Fiesche. I think that's it...it's somewhere in the Alpes, for a Rotary meeting with all the other exchange students in Switzerland. There were over 60 of us in this "Sports Resort." I met up with my friend Kaylee from Canada who is from my district in Canada (I knew her before I left for Switzerland) and my other two friends from my language course Sophie (USA) and Rachel (London, Ontario) and our other friend Kat (USA) and Otilia who is from Romania. I look a train in with Sophie and it was so pretty! When we got to the train station before this photo we found a whole group of other exchange students so we tagged a long with them. I'm pretty sure they were a main group from Zurich. We got off at the wrong station and had to walk a bit to get to the "resort" which was fine. We were the only ones we knew there so we talked to some other

My Week in Frankfurt

On Monday we (my class from the high school) took three trains. We left Burgdorf at 8:53 AM and then spent ~30 minutes on the first two trains then 3 hours on the last. I talked to Fabienne, Elena, and Viola who was sitting with me and then I slept because I was tired. We went to our rooms which they say is a hostel, but I’m not sure. Then we went on a bus tour of Frankfurt and it was 3 hours of a guy with a weird hair cut speaking very fast german that I couldn’t understand. And apparently it wasn’t just me it, the other kids in my class couldn’t understand some things he was saying. We went to this tower and then walked around the old city for a while; it was called Main Tower or something. We then had dinner at this restaurant that was old looking but surrounded by new buildings. After we then had free time and I hung out with some other people and they were really nice. We just walked around and went over the bridges. We got back at around 10. I went to bed at 10:30 and then my r

“La Vie en Rose”

I've been here in Switzerland for 133 days and I have another 206 days to go. It seems like a lot, but January is actually the half-way mark for my exchange and this exchange has gone by so quickly. Saturday the 14 December Edna and I went to a place called Colmar in France -- which is here: and it was really fun! I got up at 6 because Edna thought it would be a good idea to chose the train that left at 6:43 AM (!!). We got to the train on time and took for about two hours until we got to Basel. There we had 20 minutes to catch our train but before we could we needed to buy our tickets cause it was with another train company. We got some breakfast first and then we went to the information centre, waited on line for five minutes that we didn’t have and then got directed to the SBB office in the train station. When we got to the SBB (the Switzerland Train Company) we had two minutes to get to our gate which was not gonna happen because it’s always very slow in the office. We took