Skip to main content

"Stand By Me" (September 14 &15)

Okay...so I’m a bit tired right now. I didn’t have any classes today because I have a French class every other week which is my only class in the morning and then I had a physics class today but they were doing a test so I climbed that hill for nothing. So I went biking and this is what it looks like from where I’m sitting right now: (It is a panorama so it doesn’t exactly look like this)


So this weekend I went to a Rotary weekend where we had to bring a dessert from our home country. The night before (Friday night) I had Rachel the other Canadian over at my house and we made Nanaimo bars. It was...interesting. The custard was the thing that really got us. Our friend Sophie came over a bit later. We were up till about 1 making them. We only made one batch too so you can already tell it wasn’t so good. We slept in till about 9:15 and then we had to get ready. We thought we were going to miss our train but we didn’t. We just caught the bus to take us to the train. When we got to the meeting in Solothurn we were early so we got a lunch since they asked us to bring a packed lunch and then saw another group of people there and realized they were part of the exchange. We quickly met up with everyone and all of a sudden the Rotex (People who have been on exchange and are in charge of organizing some weekends) told us to put our luggage in their cars and get on a bus to go hiking. Now we knew we were going hiking but we didn’t know when. We were (most of us) were dressed in sweaters and jeans or stuff not appropriate for hiking. I change shoes (into my hiking boots there you go mom). We took a bus to get to this hiking spot and then literally just started climbing. In the beginning it was fine but then we just kept going up and up and it got steaper. About an hour into it we took a break for lunch and I was dying. That was my first time hiking and it was not a good time. I wasn`t hungry but I did drink a smoothie I bought. After about thirty  minutes we started hiking again and it turned out that I still hadn`t fully recovered from the first part. Eventually the trees started to fade away and we reached the top. It was incredible to see the view but it was not worth it. It was horrible and I was so sore and tired the whole time. I have never wanted to go backt to my host family`s house more in my life. We sat there a while and then took a bunch of photos. I gave my phone to Sophie so she could take some photos since she loves doing that and she also asked so win win. We then started walking down which you have no idea how happy I was about that. we took a Gondola down the mountain and then took a train back to the hostel we were staying at. When we got back we had free time so I joined in on a Cards Against Humanity game and then we had dinner which was this typical Switzerland dish which is pasta with potatoes that you are supposed to eat with Apple sauce. We then had to go get our desserts which Rachel and I were not so happy about. There was another kid form Canada names Kayleen and he also made Naniamo bars. So our table was the first to go and he did a very funny introduction and then I explained what they are. So there was about 30 different desserts from different parts of the world. We (Rachel, Sophie and I)were playing an Uno game while dessert was happening with a boy from the USA named Jordan, another one from Mexico and a girl from Australia. For the rest of the night we just played some gams and then went to bed. The next day was clean up day and packing so we had breakfast and it was a Swiss version of a hashbrown and my favourite - the bread they eat every Sunday. We had to make Sandwiches for lunch and then pack our luggage into a Rotex`s car. Then we took a train to Soloturn and got divided up into groups and had to go on a scavenger hunt to find out where we are going to be having lunch. So there was originally eight in our group but then 3 of them left so it was just me, two spanish people, one italian girl, and then a returnee from Alaska. Our group figured out the code quickly and may or may not have cheated and google mapped how to get to the location. We were the third team to arrive but we did it in the least amount of time. After we ate our sandwiches in the art gallery park (that was the final destination) and then had some free time. After that we met up at the train station and went our separate ways. I took a train home with Rachel and then came home. I slept four hours when I got home. I literally walkd in hte door, said hello, and then marched upstairs and fell onto my bed and just fell asleep like that. 
View at the top






Here is a video of a guy playing the Alp Horn at the top of the mountain when we got there. Sorry for the angle Rachel has the better video but I haven`t got it from her yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wild Horses (feat. Florence Welch)"

I know I haven't posted in a while but things have been very busy on my end. So this past weekend I went to... Fiesche. I think that's it...it's somewhere in the Alpes, for a Rotary meeting with all the other exchange students in Switzerland. There were over 60 of us in this "Sports Resort." I met up with my friend Kaylee from Canada who is from my district in Canada (I knew her before I left for Switzerland) and my other two friends from my language course Sophie (USA) and Rachel (London, Ontario) and our other friend Kat (USA) and Otilia who is from Romania. I look a train in with Sophie and it was so pretty! When we got to the train station before this photo we found a whole group of other exchange students so we tagged a long with them. I'm pretty sure they were a main group from Zurich. We got off at the wrong station and had to walk a bit to get to the "resort" which was fine. We were the only ones we knew there so we talked to some other

My Week in Frankfurt

On Monday we (my class from the high school) took three trains. We left Burgdorf at 8:53 AM and then spent ~30 minutes on the first two trains then 3 hours on the last. I talked to Fabienne, Elena, and Viola who was sitting with me and then I slept because I was tired. We went to our rooms which they say is a hostel, but I’m not sure. Then we went on a bus tour of Frankfurt and it was 3 hours of a guy with a weird hair cut speaking very fast german that I couldn’t understand. And apparently it wasn’t just me it, the other kids in my class couldn’t understand some things he was saying. We went to this tower and then walked around the old city for a while; it was called Main Tower or something. We then had dinner at this restaurant that was old looking but surrounded by new buildings. After we then had free time and I hung out with some other people and they were really nice. We just walked around and went over the bridges. We got back at around 10. I went to bed at 10:30 and then my r

“La Vie en Rose”

I've been here in Switzerland for 133 days and I have another 206 days to go. It seems like a lot, but January is actually the half-way mark for my exchange and this exchange has gone by so quickly. Saturday the 14 December Edna and I went to a place called Colmar in France -- which is here: and it was really fun! I got up at 6 because Edna thought it would be a good idea to chose the train that left at 6:43 AM (!!). We got to the train on time and took for about two hours until we got to Basel. There we had 20 minutes to catch our train but before we could we needed to buy our tickets cause it was with another train company. We got some breakfast first and then we went to the information centre, waited on line for five minutes that we didn’t have and then got directed to the SBB office in the train station. When we got to the SBB (the Switzerland Train Company) we had two minutes to get to our gate which was not gonna happen because it’s always very slow in the office. We took