Skip to main content

"The Logical Song" Supertramp (September 25)

I know I haven`t posted in a while. I`ve been busy but not busy, weird I know but it`s true. School has been going good. I think I`m dropping French because the class is WAY ahead of my understanding of french. I`m on holidays right now and have been for the last week. So last Wednesday I went to Lugano (the Italian part of Switzerland) with my host sister and we went hiking. So Wednesday we had to catch the 5:53 AM train to... somewhere, I can`t remember where, so I got up at 4 in the morning even though it only took half an hour to get ready. So I watched two episodes of Friends before my host sister came down stairs and we started to make our lunch. At 5:40 my host sister started panicking a bit because for some reason she was saying we were going to miss our train which left in 13 minutes. As we were taking our bikes to the train station, which was 3 minutes away, she told me our train was leaving at 5:43. I started to understand why she was panicking. We missed the first train and then rode across town to the other train station and caught the last train. I could hardly breath when we sat down. I definitely did something to my Branchi. So we took the train for about 4 hours to get to Lugano. When we got there, it was so pretty. It looked like Italy. Honestly and it was so pretty.



We spent a while in downtown Lugano by the lake and started walking around. Edna had to use a washroom so we went to this McDonald's that was right on the waterfront and it was in this really nice building. We went in and it had marble floors and marble walls. I swear that is the only time I have been in a place that is so known for cheapness and not god quality food and it had a marble floor. Edna realized we forgot sunscreen and she said we would need some. I did't believe her but looking back, I'm glad we got it. We had to go to a "Apotheke" to get it which is a pharmacy. It cost 40 Francs for a bottle of sunscreen. That is about $50 Canadian for a bottle of sunscreen. If you ever come to Switzerland make sure you never have to go to a Pharmacy or else you bank account may hate you for it. We took a bus up to the village Bre in Lugano and it was a half hour bus ride of just going up this hill looking out over Lugano and the higher you got the better the view got. When we arrived at Bre it was a very old town and had grape vines growing on the sides of the houses.


We took the scenic route which started us off at a playground and then it wasn't hiking exactly, it was more of climbing. I was dying ten minutes into the two hour hike. I have to admit I was complaining a lot and Edna got mad at me. So I shut up and I started just talking to her. It made it seem easier, and also the path started to get flatter an less steep. It was really cool. For the most part, we were in a forest and along the trail there were these water filling stations that looked like they've been there for about 100 years.  I loved these water filling stations. We finally started getting out of a forest and we could see the top. Edna was really good with me and took the hike slowly and let us have a lot of pauses. When we could see the top she all of a sudden had all this energy and started gong really quickly up the cliff. There was this little bit higher peak that she forced me to go to. I really didn't want to but I was so happy when we were at the top because the view was fantastic.




We spent about an hour at the top, we ate lunch, talked, looked around at the view and then we went back down the hill. It was kinda funny, I had a hard time going up the mountain and Edna had a hard time going down the hill. Actually, I was dying going up the hill and she wasn't dying going down. She taught me how you're supposed to go down the mountain. You're supposed to go down zig zagging. I did it at the peak but when we got to the forest bit I just walked straight. The zig zagging is to help with your knees, but mine didn't hurt at all so I walked normally.  We caught the bus in Bre back to Lugano. Edna realized she forgot her headphones at the top of the mountain and since it's a four hour train ride, we stopped at a department store called Manor and she got headphones. She had to go catch a tram after since she wanted to go visit a friend of hers that was in the Italian part of Switzerland. So I went with her to the tram and then I walked back to Manor. I got a pin for my jacket and then headed over to the bus station. Oh! I had the worst blisters on my heals because I wore my hiking boots and they haven't been broken in. So I was walking around like a 100 year old with a hunched back and a cane. So I took the train home by myself which was rather nice. I got home at about 9:30 PM and I went straight to bed.

Oh! The next day I could hardly walk. My IT Band (the muscle on the side of your thighs) hurt so much. I hardly knew they could hurt that much. So I stayed in Bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wild Horses (feat. Florence Welch)"

I know I haven't posted in a while but things have been very busy on my end. So this past weekend I went to... Fiesche. I think that's it...it's somewhere in the Alpes, for a Rotary meeting with all the other exchange students in Switzerland. There were over 60 of us in this "Sports Resort." I met up with my friend Kaylee from Canada who is from my district in Canada (I knew her before I left for Switzerland) and my other two friends from my language course Sophie (USA) and Rachel (London, Ontario) and our other friend Kat (USA) and Otilia who is from Romania. I look a train in with Sophie and it was so pretty! When we got to the train station before this photo we found a whole group of other exchange students so we tagged a long with them. I'm pretty sure they were a main group from Zurich. We got off at the wrong station and had to walk a bit to get to the "resort" which was fine. We were the only ones we knew there so we talked to some other

My Week in Frankfurt

On Monday we (my class from the high school) took three trains. We left Burgdorf at 8:53 AM and then spent ~30 minutes on the first two trains then 3 hours on the last. I talked to Fabienne, Elena, and Viola who was sitting with me and then I slept because I was tired. We went to our rooms which they say is a hostel, but I’m not sure. Then we went on a bus tour of Frankfurt and it was 3 hours of a guy with a weird hair cut speaking very fast german that I couldn’t understand. And apparently it wasn’t just me it, the other kids in my class couldn’t understand some things he was saying. We went to this tower and then walked around the old city for a while; it was called Main Tower or something. We then had dinner at this restaurant that was old looking but surrounded by new buildings. After we then had free time and I hung out with some other people and they were really nice. We just walked around and went over the bridges. We got back at around 10. I went to bed at 10:30 and then my r

“La Vie en Rose”

I've been here in Switzerland for 133 days and I have another 206 days to go. It seems like a lot, but January is actually the half-way mark for my exchange and this exchange has gone by so quickly. Saturday the 14 December Edna and I went to a place called Colmar in France -- which is here: and it was really fun! I got up at 6 because Edna thought it would be a good idea to chose the train that left at 6:43 AM (!!). We got to the train on time and took for about two hours until we got to Basel. There we had 20 minutes to catch our train but before we could we needed to buy our tickets cause it was with another train company. We got some breakfast first and then we went to the information centre, waited on line for five minutes that we didn’t have and then got directed to the SBB office in the train station. When we got to the SBB (the Switzerland Train Company) we had two minutes to get to our gate which was not gonna happen because it’s always very slow in the office. We took