Skip to main content

“It’s Raining Again” (Supertramp)

So Thursday was the last day of the travelling week. Wednesday we went to St. Gallen which is in the north-east part of Switzerland. We went to the library which is famous and actually the first time I saw it was in a movie call, "The Catcher Was a Spy." It is a great movie with Paul Rudd about a Yankee baseball catcher who was asked to be a spy for the Americans as they thought Heisenburg was going to create a nuclear bomb for the Germans in World War 2 (maybe one I can't remember). Before we got into the library we had to put on this wool slippers that were all the same size and then the doors opened to this: 



We weren't allowed to take photos so this is from a internet. But it was breath taking. The paintings on the ceiling were so real and they were something to do with the bible. I couldn’t understand what the tour guide was saying but that just meant that I could look at the library. We also weren’t allowed to go upstairs and the globe is actually bigger than me. They had on display two mummies which I thought was weird because they were just in this corner of the library. „Now over here we have a book that was written in 1200 AC and now to your left we have these two mummies from Egypt that happened to come to the library a long time ago.“ There was a little girl and they had her out of the tomb and in a glass case for everyone to see. It was really weird. We then got taken down to the basement which was the „Wine Cellar“ and he gave us a tour of these books. Now they were cool looking books but the tour guide talked about them for too long. We were all hungry since it was about half past noon and we didn’t care about the book with jewels on the cover unless they were edible. Finally the tour guide finished and we had an hour and a half to go out and eat something. My friends and I went to Tibits which is a cool place with a buffet of good food and then you just put your plate on a scale and then pay for however heavy it is. The food was good but it was really cold outside and it was on and off raining. We ventured out into the cold once again and met our group outside the library. Our tour guide was there with his jacket on and took us to the outside of the church. Outside the Church wasn’t fantastic:

(Ignore my confused face. I have no idea what I‘m doing here) 




But then he started to take us into the church and I also wasn’t expecting much, just hoping it would be warm, and then you get this: 




It was so cool being there. Again, I didn’t understand a lot of what the tour guide said but it was still fun being there. We spent a fair bit of time there, but the good thing was, that we had been a let to sit down....and it was warm! The train ride back was about 2 hours and it was fun. 

Now Thursday... we went to a place in the Italian part of Switzerland again caked Lavaux (la-vo). Now I was told that I would be hiking the whole time, and I don’t hike, just as Joey doesn’t share food. So I wasn’t really up for it but everyone I asked said it wasn’t hiking hiking, it was more walking around a very hilly town for a while. And boy where they right. The night before, Edna told me that I needed to dress warmly because it was going to be even colder than it was in St. Gallen (by the way -4 with wind. And I was really, really cold). So I wore 4 pants, 3 leggings and my sweatpants, at least 4 shirts (could be 5) and two socks plus my mitts and hat. I was still cold when I got to the train station. The train ride there wasn’t that long, about about 2 hours, and then we got to this place called Lulty which is near Lausanne. We got to Lulty at about 10:30 and we stopped around these rocks formed nicely in front of this parking lot and our teacher spent about 15 minutes explaining the rocks and how there used to be glaciers there and they brought the rocks down. I didn’t understand that but my friend Malin translated what he said. We then started to walk. And the view wasn’t bad: 


Little pause: Jael, Edna and Odile from left to right


The stones at the parking lot


Some of the thousands of grape vineyards 


Yael in the blue

We walked up and along the hillside which was covered in Vineyards as far as the eye can see. We walked through them, and to be honest after a while, like 2 hours, they start to get a little boring. Not to matter though, because it was fun. Other than the constant rain and coldness. Actually thought when you were walking up the hills you started to get very warm and sometimes I got so hot I took my jacket, mitts and hat off. But then when we hadn’t gone up a hill in a while I got cold again and had to put them ba m on. We stopped and had an hour lunch and then kept climbing the hill. I think we were hiking for about 5 hours and then we got to the point where the teacher said, okay, I’ve had enough, we’re going home an hour earlier. Literally no one complained. It was getting colder and it was raining pretty heavily. So we took a train back to Bern and that was it. It was actually a good day. I wasn’t expecting it to be but it was. I didn’t mind the hiking and Edna and her friend who I met my first week here I’m Switzerland said my German has improved a lot. That made me feel good. 
Here are some more photos:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wild Horses (feat. Florence Welch)"

I know I haven't posted in a while but things have been very busy on my end. So this past weekend I went to... Fiesche. I think that's it...it's somewhere in the Alpes, for a Rotary meeting with all the other exchange students in Switzerland. There were over 60 of us in this "Sports Resort." I met up with my friend Kaylee from Canada who is from my district in Canada (I knew her before I left for Switzerland) and my other two friends from my language course Sophie (USA) and Rachel (London, Ontario) and our other friend Kat (USA) and Otilia who is from Romania. I look a train in with Sophie and it was so pretty! When we got to the train station before this photo we found a whole group of other exchange students so we tagged a long with them. I'm pretty sure they were a main group from Zurich. We got off at the wrong station and had to walk a bit to get to the "resort" which was fine. We were the only ones we knew there so we talked to some other

My Week in Frankfurt

On Monday we (my class from the high school) took three trains. We left Burgdorf at 8:53 AM and then spent ~30 minutes on the first two trains then 3 hours on the last. I talked to Fabienne, Elena, and Viola who was sitting with me and then I slept because I was tired. We went to our rooms which they say is a hostel, but I’m not sure. Then we went on a bus tour of Frankfurt and it was 3 hours of a guy with a weird hair cut speaking very fast german that I couldn’t understand. And apparently it wasn’t just me it, the other kids in my class couldn’t understand some things he was saying. We went to this tower and then walked around the old city for a while; it was called Main Tower or something. We then had dinner at this restaurant that was old looking but surrounded by new buildings. After we then had free time and I hung out with some other people and they were really nice. We just walked around and went over the bridges. We got back at around 10. I went to bed at 10:30 and then my r

“La Vie en Rose”

I've been here in Switzerland for 133 days and I have another 206 days to go. It seems like a lot, but January is actually the half-way mark for my exchange and this exchange has gone by so quickly. Saturday the 14 December Edna and I went to a place called Colmar in France -- which is here: and it was really fun! I got up at 6 because Edna thought it would be a good idea to chose the train that left at 6:43 AM (!!). We got to the train on time and took for about two hours until we got to Basel. There we had 20 minutes to catch our train but before we could we needed to buy our tickets cause it was with another train company. We got some breakfast first and then we went to the information centre, waited on line for five minutes that we didn’t have and then got directed to the SBB office in the train station. When we got to the SBB (the Switzerland Train Company) we had two minutes to get to our gate which was not gonna happen because it’s always very slow in the office. We took