Skip to main content

April 4


!! I wrote this entry on April 4 but I didn't have internet !!

So, as of today I am officially in my third and last host family. I promise I will catch you up on everything that has happened in the last three months with my second host family. I can’t thank my second host family enough for everything that they’ve done for me. I had a great time there and hope to see them again before  I go. 

So, yesterday I spent the morning cleaning my room in my second host family’s house and also finished packing. We had breakfast together at about 10 AM and then I did some washing and then more cleaning and because we ate breakfast so late we didn’t have lunch. Instead I hung out a bit with my host sister and talked with her. When I first arrived at my second host family, they asked me if I liked any types of drinks (other than beer which here is Switzerland they drink quite a lot of), and I said whiskey. My host dad immediately got really excited and said before I go we’ll have to have a whisky together. So that is what we did Saturday. He brought out this 16 year old whisky from Scotland that I can’t remember the name of but we had one together. My host sister Jael doesn’t like whiskey so she had a different drink and we just talked about things and it was really nice. When my host mom got back from grocery shopping she came and had a whisky with us too. It was a really nice time. It was a nice farewell kinda feeling. 

Around two o’clock was when the Schonenbergers (my first host family) were coming to pick me up. I brought my luggage down and my gosh they were heavy. I have a large Roots plaid, hockey bag, kinda suitcase and it was so, SO, heavy. I think I have too many books in there, haha. At 1:50, my host brothers came down and joined us. We just talked a bit and it was nice. I knew the Schonenbergers were gonna be late but they weren’t that late. They came and things seemed to go  rather quickly. They weren’t allowed to come in because of the Coronavirus so maybe that was why. I got by bags and Roman (my first host dad) carried my Roots bag to the car, Andre (my second host dad) carried my backpack and I carried my black suitcase. I went back in and grabbed some other bags and put them in the car then went back inside and stood with my oldest host bother at the top of the stairs (you have to go up about five stairs to get to the main level and that is where my host siblings were sitting/standing). Roman and Edna (first host sister) were talking to my host parents and Jael (second host sister). Edna and Jael are actually best friends from school so they laughed a lot and talked a lot. It went good. Roman said that we had to go and I said goodbye to my host brothers than Jael who I kinda already said goodbye to earlier in the day. I thanked my host parents again for having me for the last three months and said we should meet up again before I leave. Roman, Edna and I got into the car and Edna drove me to my third host family's house. Here in Switzerland you start driving when you're 18 so she was really excited about that. It was kinda funny because I've been allowed to drive in Canada for 2 years know and I already know how to drive and all the rules and then to see Edna just starting to do this was rather funny. She didn't stop fully when she came to a stop sign and I was like "Oh Edna. My goodness. That is just not acceptable" in a joking manor. She actually did very good. 

Edna was fighting me to carry my Roots bag when we arrived at my third host family's house and I actually won for once! I got here and my new host dad, Luca, opened the door and welcomed us in. Roman went up the stairs with my black bag and I felt so rude cause I was only carrying my backpack, laptop bag and the gift for them (the lightest stuff) while Edna and Luca carried my Roots bag up the stairs. I felt so bad that I didn’t help carry it; the Canadian in me was crying, haha. The stairs were steep and in a spiral and my room is on the third floor (so two flights of stairs). The Canadian in me felt really sorry remembering there is two flights of stairs. Mirjam (Miriam) and Luca showed me my room and it’s so lovely. I have a view of Burgdorf and you can even see the alps from my window. In Burgdorf there are two points (actually their hills) but on top of one is the church and the other one is the castle. Our house is right beside the church and on one another side you have the town office. So I can see the next town (Oberburg) from my window and it’s so beautiful. They also have the loveliest balcony that runs the length of one side of their house and then they have a huge garden.

I unpacked my bags and then just kinda chilled in my room for a bit. We had dinner on the terrace and it was so lovely. That night I ended up playing a Lord of the Rings Nintendo DS game with my host sister and we had a lot of fun together. I feel like I'm gonna have a good time here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wild Horses (feat. Florence Welch)"

I know I haven't posted in a while but things have been very busy on my end. So this past weekend I went to... Fiesche. I think that's it...it's somewhere in the Alpes, for a Rotary meeting with all the other exchange students in Switzerland. There were over 60 of us in this "Sports Resort." I met up with my friend Kaylee from Canada who is from my district in Canada (I knew her before I left for Switzerland) and my other two friends from my language course Sophie (USA) and Rachel (London, Ontario) and our other friend Kat (USA) and Otilia who is from Romania. I look a train in with Sophie and it was so pretty! When we got to the train station before this photo we found a whole group of other exchange students so we tagged a long with them. I'm pretty sure they were a main group from Zurich. We got off at the wrong station and had to walk a bit to get to the "resort" which was fine. We were the only ones we knew there so we talked to some other

My Week in Frankfurt

On Monday we (my class from the high school) took three trains. We left Burgdorf at 8:53 AM and then spent ~30 minutes on the first two trains then 3 hours on the last. I talked to Fabienne, Elena, and Viola who was sitting with me and then I slept because I was tired. We went to our rooms which they say is a hostel, but I’m not sure. Then we went on a bus tour of Frankfurt and it was 3 hours of a guy with a weird hair cut speaking very fast german that I couldn’t understand. And apparently it wasn’t just me it, the other kids in my class couldn’t understand some things he was saying. We went to this tower and then walked around the old city for a while; it was called Main Tower or something. We then had dinner at this restaurant that was old looking but surrounded by new buildings. After we then had free time and I hung out with some other people and they were really nice. We just walked around and went over the bridges. We got back at around 10. I went to bed at 10:30 and then my r

“La Vie en Rose”

I've been here in Switzerland for 133 days and I have another 206 days to go. It seems like a lot, but January is actually the half-way mark for my exchange and this exchange has gone by so quickly. Saturday the 14 December Edna and I went to a place called Colmar in France -- which is here: and it was really fun! I got up at 6 because Edna thought it would be a good idea to chose the train that left at 6:43 AM (!!). We got to the train on time and took for about two hours until we got to Basel. There we had 20 minutes to catch our train but before we could we needed to buy our tickets cause it was with another train company. We got some breakfast first and then we went to the information centre, waited on line for five minutes that we didn’t have and then got directed to the SBB office in the train station. When we got to the SBB (the Switzerland Train Company) we had two minutes to get to our gate which was not gonna happen because it’s always very slow in the office. We took